home what'snew resources ask amy news activism antiviolence events marketplace aboutus
Ask a Question!
Meet Amy!
Amy's Resource Guide
Ask Amy Main
Most Asked Questions
Reproductive Rights
Sexual Harassment
Violence Against Women
Women's History

I am requesting your help, or your referral to someone who can possibly help me and my 3 children.

I have been divorced since 1995. My ex-husband does not pay child support and owes over $60,000.00. He has filed a lawsuit in the Missouri courts saying that the Florida divorce was invalid. The divorce was not invalid, as he was served by mail and in person. I requested that the Florida courts not allow the case to be tried in Missouri on the grounds that this violates the Constitution and that I cannot afford to go to Missouri and fight this, as I have to work and care for the children.

The case is set to be tried in January in Jefferson County, Mo. My ex-husband comes from a wealthy, well-connected family. Thus, I am going to need all of the help that I can get.

I would like to ask for help from NOW in the courtroom and perhaps with publicizing this case. Everyone (including lawyers) who have seen it say that they have never seen anything like it.

Finally, I am trying to contact Ms. Gloria Allred who is the best attorney I have ever seen.

Please help. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely, Nancy

Thanks for your note and I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I worked in a "domestic relations" law firm for two years, where I, unfortunately, heard about many situations similar to yours. I continue to hear about these cases through Ask Amy--and I'm sorry that yours is among them. The good news is that the other day I met a woman, Karen Winner, who has written a book, Divorced from Justice, and started an organization with the same name. Because she, too, had heard of many cases such as yours she wrote this book and started this organization in response. I suggest that you contact her for starters--[email protected]; 132 West 28th Street, #5E, New York, NY 10001; (212) 691-6602.

As for reaching Gloria Allred--the number that I have is: (213) 653-6530. This is in Los Angeles.

I hope these help. Good luck to you and to your three children.

Follow-up Letter:

I want to thank you, very much, for your information about Ms. Winner and Ms. Allred. I have contacted Ms. Winner andt she has written back. As a result, I have joined The Justice Seekers and Ms. Winner has agreed to look at my case. She has been extremely helpful.

In closing, I can not thank you enough for giving me the name of Ms. Winner and her wonderful organization.



home | what's new | resources | ask amy | news | activism | anti-violence
events | marketplace | about us | e-mail us | join our mailing list

©1995-2002 Feminist.com All rights reserved.